Thursday, June 24, 2010

Barcelona 1992 Olympic Park

After reading TJ's olympic park post, I thought I would add the stuff I took while at the Barcelona Olympic park. The park is situated on a hill/mountain just on the outskirts of the city called Montjuic. On the top of the hill is a castle and then there are parks all over the slopes. It is quite a long, hard walk up, they have cable cars that will take you, but I don't have money for that stuff. On one side of the mountain is the olympic park for the 1992 summer olympics. The park is a very formal design with strong axes and order. The scale of everything is amazing, and even more so probably because it was not very crowded, as I'm sure it was during the olympics.

I don't know for sure, but the space did not seem like it was heavily used besides a tourist site. The rest of the mountain/hill and surrounding parks and neighborhoods were full of people, but not so much this site. I think the future use of olympic sites has more recently become an issue of focus in design....it will be interesting to see how Glenn and Hargreaves London design will work for the games and in the future.





1 comment:

  1. Aw i am begining to like all these Olympic parklands. We should od a tour of the world visiting all the Olympic sites.

    ReplyDelete