Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Crayfish




I helped some researchers from the US Forest Service collect "crayfish" for a genetic study. They were wondering if we had them on site near the pitcher plant bog because that is where the species in question resides. I told them that I had plenty of mud chimneys where I have been working so they came over and set some traps. I was a bit suspicious of the traps and sure enough, they did not yield one crawfish. They came back in the morning and I soon realized why they would rather catch them in the traps! We dug them out of their holes by hand. We collected within the woods where I am working then I took them out to a bog site the arboretum owns about 10 miles away and collected a few more. It was really nice to take a break from the pond and get my hands dirty in some biological research. Quite different from Mr. Tietje's collection methods!

1 comment:

  1. The one in my hand is Cambarus diogenes - Devil crayfish

    The ones in the sac are from the genus Procambarus with a couple of different species

    ReplyDelete