Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Charrette in Starkville

This past weekend I made a trip up to Starkville, MS where we conducted a charrette detailing the design of the gum pond in attempt to make it more site specific. It was a really great trip.
The weather was perfect so I took my time getting there. I stopped at the Southern Miss campus which was very nice and then ate lunch at the Chicken Basket in Meridian (great plate lunch). When I made it to Starkville I explored campus on my own for awhile. It is nice but is very sprawled with tons of lawn to be maintained. Sasaki has recently been hired on in master planning efforts. I then made it to the Landscape Architecture buildings. They are actually in the School of Agriculture whereas we are in the School of Art and Design. I met some of their students and we compared schools for awhile. Studio spaces were similar except they share spaces between grade levels. I then met up with Sadik Artunc the LA Director whom I would be staying with. He gave me a guided tour of the campus then we met up with all of his professors at a local beer joint. After a couple of rounds Sadik, Bob (professor I am working closely with), and I headed out to grab dinner. The dinner was a really amazing experience as we discussed business and sorts. I was sitting among two very wise LA's. The charrette Saturday went well so we are closer, but have still not reached a final resolution of plans for the pond.


1 of very many stacks of vegetation









I built this fence, which is at the entrance of the children's garden with repurposed pines



Charrette workspace complete with breakfast and lunch

3 comments:

  1. whos the girl that looks like a screech owl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that fence is pretty sweet....you should have sharpened the tops of the sticks into spears...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well John, my sister decided to come along with me on the trip. Thanks. and Benge, that would be pretty sweet and would definitely look good on the set of Braveheart... I'm afraid it wouldn't be to code here. Damn state property restrictions.

    Tell ya'll what. You are talking to an upcoming celebrity of Picayune. I was the recent star of the arboretum's quarterly news journal. They tell me if play my cards right I have a good shot at an article in "The Picayune Item" (newspaper)!

    ReplyDelete