Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Amsterdam

Two weekends ago I took a 3 day trip to the Netherlands. I started in Amsterdam. I walked all over the city, one of the first things I noticed was the amount of cyclists everywhere. I always knew that the Netherlands was a country of cyclists, but I never knew how it would feel and look. The pedestrian circulation was probably the last form considered, and in such a dense city, the circulation was pretty cramped. Not only do they have tons of cyclists to account for, but also squeeze large canals between it all.

Overall, the city had a much more intimate feel, especially in contrast to my time in Budapest the past weekend, with all of its wide open scenic views and elevation. There was also tons of contemporary architecture and landscape projects everywhere you looked (maybe I will post more on that later). I've included some photos of a West8 project, the red bridges, which span a canal in a residential area on the outskirts of the city.

But enough of talk, here's some pictures to look at.

I know everyone is probably workin hard for final reviews (those in BR), good luck to everyone, from what you have showed us, I am very curious to see what kind of work you are producing.





3 comments:

  1. Though it looks pretty badass and seems to be functional from the water (boating pov) it sure does not look very bicycle or wheelchair friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they actually have two bridges (both red, from the same material), the other one is more of a gradual curve, up and over, without steps (wheelchair and bike friendly) I just didn't post any pics of the other one because it wasn't as exciting, but I guess they both go together...

    ReplyDelete